Tips to effectively work from home
- First, get changed out of your pajamas every morning. It’ll help get you in the right headspace for work and allow you to take video calls on the fly.
- Pick one or more dedicated workspaces, ideally with a decent chair that will support your back.
- But try to keep your bedroom as a sacred space for sleeping and relaxing where work is banned. It’ll help make the work-life divide a little clearer.
- Wake up more than five minutes before your workday starts. You need time to prepare for the day, both mentally and physically.
- Try wearing shoes, because let’s be real: You probably wouldn’t be chilling barefoot in an office. It’s another way to try to keep that line between work and relaxation crystal clear.
- Sign out and turn off notifications for work-related email and instant messaging when the day is over — especially if you’re signed in on your personal devices.
- Listen to music or put the TV on quietly, since working from home can sometimes be a little too quiet, which makes it difficult to focus.
- Overworking can be a real issue, so clearly define what hours you will be working and stick to it.
- And have lunch breaks where you don’t look at anything work-related.
- Also, take frequent breaks so you don’t burn out. You’re probably not actually working 100% of the time when you’re in an office anyway.
- Be sure to socialize after work, even if it’s just a video call, to keep the loneliness at bay.
- Don’t do household chores randomly throughout the day, since it can get distracting. Instead, schedule a specific time for them.
- Communicate to people you live with that you’re working, like if you have a video call with your coworkers and need everyone to be quiet.
- Use headphones and mute your microphone during conference calls (unless you’re speaking) to minimize the amount of audio feedback and times that random sounds interrupt the conversation.
- Be in regular contact with your team, in part to make sure that you’re actually ~working~ from home.
- Go outside! Even if it’s just a quick walk around your block, the fresh air will do wonders.
As seen on Buzzfeed